High Mileage

If you have high miles on your vehicle, you may be eligible for a reduction on your taxes according to the High Mileage Chart published by the South Carolina Department of Revenue. You can download an odometer statement from this website. You will need to complete this statement and e-mail, fax, mail, or bring it to the Auditor's Office to find out if you are eligible.  In order to have your tax bill adjusted, you must submit your odometer statement on or before the tax due date.  After this date, you lose your right to appeal.

Other Appeals Accepted

We will also accept the following documentation for consideration of an appeal on your vehicle:

  • Bill of Sale - We use the sale price listed on the bill of sale before any rebates, trade-in credits, or allowances. We will also only accept a bill of sale from a dealership, no personal bill of sales will be accepted. Vehicle assessments will not be reduced by “rebates” or “other incentives" offered by car dealerships. Such rebates and other incentives are a “marketing tool” used by automobile vendors and the automobile industry to sell new vehicles. They do not affect the market value all across the State of South Carolina for all vehicles in a specific class. A valuation system applicable statewide must be fair and equitable to all its citizens, with each county applying the millage rate determined by it governing body. There must be uniformity in classifying and valuing items of personal property. All property must be assessed uniformly and equitably throughout the State. S.C. Code Ann 12-43-210(A). Since “rebates” and “other incentives” do not apply “across the board” to vehicles of like kind sold and thus they can not be utilized in determining the fair market value of new vehicles sold in this state.
  • Appraisals - If you have a Chevrolet, you must get an appraisal from a Chevrolet dealer on his letterhead. We do not accept appraisals from Carmax.
  • NADA or Edmunds - You may go to these websites and print a copy of the private party or retail value of your vehicle. We do not accept wholesale or trade in values. A link has been provided to each of these websites for your convenience.  WE NO LONGER ACCEPT KELLEY BLUE BOOK APPRAISALS.

If there is a significant difference in the appealed value you submit and the value we billed, we may request additional information in order to adjust your bill. We are required by law to use the vehicle values provided by the South Carolina Department of Revenue. The original bill you receive is based on those value provided. If you appeal your vehicle value this year, we will not automatically reduce your value next year based on that appeal. We will continue to use the values provided by the South Carolina Department of Revenue. As a result, you will need to file an appeal each year.

Any appeals you make to reduce the value of your vehicle must be made on or before the tax due date on your bill (if submitted on tax due date, must be received by 5:00 pm). You can appeal in person, by e-mail, fax, or mail.  If an appeal is submitted on the tax due date and you want to pay online, keep in mind our website updates over night so the adjusted bill will not show up until the next day causing your payment to be late.  If you owe a DMV fee and you pay late, you will be required to go to the DMV office to pick up your decal and registration and pay a late fee. After the due date, you lose your right to appeal. If you choose to mail in your appeal, you must send it to the Auditor's Office at P.O. Box 25 York, SC 29745. The return envelope enclosed with your tax bill is addressed to the York County Treasurer. If you mail your appeal to that address, we may not receive it and you may incur penalties from the Department of Motor Vehicles for late registration as a result.


How do I figure out how much my taxes will be on a new vehicle I am purchasing?
We have a manual provided to us by the Department of Revenue that shows the value of all vehicles.  We can give you an estimate from our manual by phone, fax, or e-mail. If you want to figure an estimated amount yourself, take the market value (before any rebates, allowances, or trade ins) and multiply that by 7.50% if the vehicle will be in your personal name or by 10.50% if the vehicle will be in a business name.  After you have done that, you will multiply your answer by the tax rate of the district you live in.  We can give you the tax rate if you tell us what your address is or you can find it on any of your tax bills for the current year. If you need an exact amount, you will need to fax, e-mail, or come in and bring a title or bill of sale.
How do I know if my vehicle qualifies for a high mileage discount?
We have a chart provided to us by the Department of Revenue for mileage adjustments.  You can call or e-mail our office and give us your mileage and year of your vehicle to find out if you are eligible.